Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Pursuit

Kirkland, US
2111 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Pursuit Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2003
Wed 08-Jan-03 03:57 AM

I do a fair amount of shopping at Glazer's Cameras here in Seattle. They have an extensive paper selection. To help their customers see the difference in the papers, they have printed out a standard template image on each of the papers they carry and bound them together in a notebook. The template image includes color-sample sheets, different skin tones, high contrast pictures, subtle b/w shades, etc. So when I bought my 1280 a year and a half ago, I thought I would do the same thing for each paper I tried. On each printing I include color profile info, printer selections used, paper costs - everything I might need to reference in the future. I now have a notebook with 11 glossy, 6 matte, and 10 specialty papers in it that I can reference (or show a client) whenever it is helpful.

Of all the glossy papers I have tried, I prefer the Ilford "Smooth Gloss Paper" the most. It costs about $.52 for an 8.5x11 sheet, but I find it to be the nicest finish, and among the brightest colors. If you use this paper, be sure to take note of Ilford's comment about reducing your Magenta before printing. If you ever want a "Wow, how did you do that?" magazine-cover glossy finish, then I recommend the Pictorico "Hi-Gloss white film". It will blow your socks off, but at $2.00 per sheet, I guess it should. And if you get a chance, try out the Lumijet "Belgian Linen" (a specialty paper). It is great for the occassional painted-canvas-effect portrait.

What are your favorite papers?

P.S., I have found it useful to print this template when using a photo-lab for printing digital images as well. They all seem to have their own little color quirks, but they seem to be consistent.

Jim Kelly
Wandering the Cascades

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Papers
Reply message RE: Pictorico sampler too

G