Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Newbie question about printers (and inks) that will get low usage.

Wet1

US
194 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Wet1 Registered since 04th Dec 2007
Wed 06-Feb-08 03:47 PM

Up to this point I've been sending my photos out to be printed. I'd really like to have the ability to print excellent quality photos at home, but I don't print a lot of photos and was wondering if it's even practical to own a nice printer. But... It sure would like to have the convenience of doing them in house when I want to (plus the ability to calibrate), but I don't know anything about the current crop of printers and how maintenance free they are...

So how much maintenance is involved with the latest printers? Another major concern is ink longevity. I know some of these printers hold like 8 cartridges (at $70 a pop), and I need to know if they have a shelflife. Do they, and if so, how long after they're opened do they go bad? I ask because I can go months without printing, mostly during the summer and then get back into it during the winter.

FWIW, I've heard good things about the Epson Stylus Pro 3800 and 4800. I might even consider a used printer of the same model, if ink longevity is not a concern. Thoughts?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Newbie question about printers (and inks) that will...

G