Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED (LS-5000 ED) comments

ghostwriter

US
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ghostwriter Registered since 15th Sep 2007
Sat 15-Sep-07 05:47 PM

Hello, I am in the market for the above but have heard some negative things about it, particularly its software. I'm looking to spend $1000 USD ($1500 USD max) for a very good, quality scanner to scan my 4,000 35 mm slides and a fair amount of un-mounted 35mm film. I'm not a professional but am looking for very good quality results. After scanning, the images will become resident in Apple's iPhoto application and then probably eventually find their way onto a DVD. My computer is an Intel iMac running Mac OS 10.4.10 (Tiger) which I will probably upgrade soon to 10.5 (Leopard). Here are a couple comments/observations. Anyone's comments/experiences/observations/suggestions with this scanner and its software will be appreciated!

(1)I was ordering a Nikon LS-5000 ED through B&H Photo and they told me to cancel the order and order an Epson V700 instead because the results were just as good and because the LS-5000 ED can't handle Kodachrome film well. Turns out I checked and don't believe I have any Kodacrome film, so this may be a mute point. I was a little turned off by their comment for 2 reasons: I don't like the idea of having to scan through a glass bed that the slide/film rests upon and also I've heard in general that you can't manually focus with flatbed scanners.

(2)Apparently the Nikon Scan s/w hasn't been updated in a while since Nikon apparently is not actively developing scanning technology and products since the world is changing to digital format from the moment of image capture. I have downloaded NS 4.0 which has a create date of 2002. Subsequently I downloaded NS 4.0.2 (Updater) which also seems not particularly current (2003 I believe). Net is that it doesn't appear that Nikon is putting much energy/resources into maintaining its s/w for its scanners as computer base operating systems change. According to Nikon tech support, this may change some since Nikon knows they have to do something to have NS run on MS Vista. Whether the Mac version will be re-visited is not clear. In the process of snooping around, I found out that LaserSoft makes a product called SilverFast which supposedly supports LS-5000 ED (and many other scanners) but at a pretty hefty price ($348 USD), so I'm not inclined to purchase it plus I haven't tried NS yet. But it is reassuring to know there is some other s/w out there for the LS-5000 ED if needed. In fairness to Nikon, both NS 4.0 and NS 4.0.2 (Updater) installed w/o problem and in checking into as many things as I could w/o a scanner attached, the s/w seemed stable and no issues were encountered.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED (LS-5000 ED) comments