Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Where's my sunset gone?

RobLamb

Cork, IE
249 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RobLamb Registered since 29th Sep 2006
Wed 16-Jan-08 02:14 PM

I rescanned this image on my Coolscan V in order to create a presentable print for the people who own the house from which its taken.

The first image below is the lab scan I got when I got the film processed originally. This isn't a pro lab, its a standard Agfa branded 1hr set-up run by a very competent operator. Lovely sunset, the original scan is about 1.5MP, nice and clean.

Its taken on Fuji Reala

So I tried it in the Coolscan and went straight for VueScan to deal with the Reala colour cast that I've experienced before. Best I could do is the second shot. Nice but no comparison.

So I went back to Nikon Scan and tweaked everything I could think of, including adding ROC, and the best I can do is the third image.

I'm really surprised the Coolscan can't out-perform the lab scan in this case. Up until now I've been very impressed with it but it seems to be just ignoring the red in the sky! I tried resetting the settings to make sure I hadn't inherited something from a previous scan but still no joy.

Anyone got any ideas where to go to get my sunset back?

I'm thought I was slowly getting the hang of digital colour correction but this has me

Thanks in advance

Rob
(Edited to shrink the last image to the same as the others)

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 ( file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Where's my sunset gone?

G