Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

E-Readers and such

Wingman

Kimberley, CA
1652 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002
Mon 20-May-13 09:21 PM

OK, all you tech savvy road warriors, I have another question for you.

I'm getting older and I'm a bit of a Luddite, so I have no experience whatsoever with Kindles, Nooks, tablets, ipads, etc etc.

But I have accumulated a collection of e-books -- especially Thom Hogan's work. I work with a bunch of Nikons from D300 to D800, and have a bunch of Thom's tomes, as well as various other camera manuals, tutorials, etc.

I'm spending a lot of time in the field these days, and it would sometimes be very nice to be able to consult these reference works. I'd also like to be able to load saved web pages and read and think about them away from my computers, so I guess some sort of web browser would be needed -- do Kindles and Nooks and such have this capability? How about on line PDFs?

I'm not especially interested in zillions of "apps", whatever they are. I don't need on the road connectivity -- I have broadband on my laptop, and have never used it (Hey, I've never even owned a cellphone -- the last thing I want on the road is to be "connected").

I would like enough power and speed to be able to open up a Hogan e-book and just scroll or jump to page 472 without having to crawl slowly through everything in between.

I need readability, and enlargability, to suit my 65 year old eyes.

Price is no big problem, though I don't want to buy a bunch of capability I don't need. Do Kindles and Nooks and such require regular ebooks to be converted into proprietary formats? Seems like I've read that somewhere. Do books bought from Amazon or Barnes and Noble need to be converted somehow to work on other devices?

So is there anything out there that will meet all these needs, and still be reasonably simple, rugged, and reliable?? Any suggestions, cautions, or general advice will be very much appreciated...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: E-Readers and such