Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

PC for Travel – Suggestions / Recommendations / Experiences

noneco

Vancouver, CA
321 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
noneco Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th May 2009
Sat 20-Apr-13 04:18 AM

Time to upgrade my travel PC – this is not a PC or Apple question.

I’m strictly an amateur and I do my post work at home on a desktop PC. I need some advice & warnings on PC laptops & Ultrabooks for travel. I’ve read some reviews but they concentrate on business, multimedia and games not the quirks of photography. I’ll use it for moving D800 NEF files from the CF card to the internal drive, a quick look-see with some deletes, and copying to two external USB3 1TB WD Passports – one in my luggage & one in my camera bag. (Paranoid? Yep! These are once in a life time trips.) I will load PS to touch-up the odd image and convert it to a JPG to send it off home in an email.

I’ve had a Lenovo ThinkPad for few years and I find it a tad heavy (6.5#), a little larger than I need (screen = 16.25”), and is bit slow for D800 files (USB2).

I checked the Intel Ultrabook site http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ultrabook/shop-ultrabook.html the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Convertible and the Samsung Series 9 appeal.

Wants: 14-15” screen, 600GB drive or +180GB SSD, 1 or preferably 2 USB3 ports, Wi-Fi, Ethernet plug, back lit keyboard, weight = -4.5 #, and fit in my carry-on camera bag.

Don’t needs: camera, optical drive, card reader, or touch screen.

Don’t want: Windows 8.

Thanks. Cal

Visit http://www.365.acdsee.com/user/Cal/

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: PC for Travel – Suggestions / Recommendations / E...

G