Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Preferred cable connections for NEC monitor

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10524 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 14-Mar-13 09:03 PM | edited Fri 15-Mar-13 01:08 AM by ericbowles

I just received an NEC PA241W monitor. All the reports are great. Of course, just like printers there are a host of setup options.

I have a brand new Lenovo laptop (Windows 8 64 bit) that I want to connect to the monitor. The laptop has VGA, Ethernet, and HDMI ports (as well as USB 3.0 and 2.0). The NEC monitor has Displayport, DVI-D (2), and VGA ports. So it appears my choices are VGA (which would be analog) or a cable or an adapter connecting HDMI to DVI-D. Is that right or am I missing and option?

I was really quite surprised that the monitor did not have an HDMI port.

My understanding is DisplayPort is primarily an Apple feature and cannot be resolved with an adapter. DVI-D and HDMI are pretty closely related and can be resolved with an adapter or cable. VGA would be the worst choice as it has lower signal quality.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Preferred cable connections for NEC monitor

G