Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Fortkentdad

Fort Kent, CA
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012
Sun 03-Mar-13 05:52 AM

I'm tempted to buy one of these tablets, the question is which one. The Bamboo Splash is on sale for $59. I like the price and I think the software "Artrage 3" will give me a good start at digital drawing from what I can see. It will also work with Elements which I already own.

Or do I add another $25 and get the Bamboo Capture. It comes with Elements (not that I need two copies), but it allows you use your fingers to manipulate your images, or simply act like a laptop style touchpad. I have a Blackberry Playbook so I'm used to the finger gestures on a tablet and I've used touchpads on laptops (although I really prefer a mouse to a touchpad). And I have a Razer Death-Adder Gamer mouse my techie son recommended, actually it is a very nice mouse despite the name.

Or do I wait and buy a Bamboo Create with its medium sized drawing surface. The Splash & Capture have 5.8" x 3.6" drawing areas whereas the $180 Create has a 8.5" x 5.4" drawing surface and comes with Corel Painter Essentials drawing program. That's

As far as the bundled software goes, if I did not have elements then that would be worthwhile. There are freeware drawing programs like Inkscape and Gimp among others that seem to offer very similar products to the drawing programs bundled with these tablets. Artrage no longer sells version 3, but version 4 is $49. Corel Painter Essentials is a $59 program. The Autodesk Sketchbook Express can be downloaded for free so that is not much of a feature.

So do I go for the cheapest one to start - find out if I even like this type of device? Is this 'multi-touch' finger capable feature worth an extra $25 (and the loss of Artrage 3) or are these two smaller units just too small and I'm better off saving for the $180 medium sized one.

Of course this assumes that the Bamboo line is the way to go. It is the starter line. The Intuos 5 models start at $230 for the same small size as the Splash & Capture, and the medium is $350. I'm thinking I'd want to mast the Bamboo's first then if I really get into digital art I might spend the extra dollars and get the Intuos line.

This of course is set against a backdrop of a promise by Wacom to develop a 'tablet tablet' that would combine the graphical pen tablets they have now with something like the tablet-PC's that surf the web and run other apps. No telling how much one of these multi-use units would cost. But if I get the Splash now - a few years from now when they have mastered this new style tablet I might upgrade then.

I'll sleep on it and maybe run off to Staples tomorrow and buy me one of these gadgets.

Any advice?

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Wacom Tablet -

G