Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Update MBP 17" Now, or Settle for 15" MBP in the Future?

Renaissance Man

Laurel, US
105 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Renaissance Man Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009
Tue 29-Jan-13 02:44 AM

I use an Early-2009 UniBody MacBook Pro with 17" Anti-Glare screen. It is now at Mac OS X 10.6.8 and has the 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and RAM is 8 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3. I use mostly Nikon Capture NX 2 ver 2.3.5. I have Adobe CS 5 Design Premium, onOne's latest full set of special tools, and LR4. I keep my libraries and the images which I'm editing on external Firewire 800 drives. Editing while traveling is important to me.
My dilemma: I'm currently happy with this MBP and think that it would be fine for another 2 years, at least. When I settle down I'd like to add a loaded MacPro (if they are available in the future). Nearly a year ago Apple discontinued the 17" MacBook Pro, and no longer offers Anti-Glare Screens. It offers the Retina Display but doesn't supply 16 year old quality eye-balls with the new computers.
The final generation of 17" MacBook Pros with Anti-Glare Screens are still available from MacMall, and perhaps from some other source, but the models with the higher end processors are sold out.
Should I buy a New-Old-Stock 17" Anti-Glare Screen MBP w quad-core Intel Core i7 2.5GHz, 4GB DDR3, 750GB 7200-rpm HD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 & AMD Radeon HD 6770M, SuperDrive, Thunderbolt port,...? I'd upgrade it to at least 8 GB of RAM as I did for my existing computer, but perhaps it would support 16 GB. Would my software make use of more than one or two of the Quad-Cores? If only one or two cores would actually be used for editing, perhaps performance would be lower than my existing two core MBP since its clock speed is higher. The Thuderbolt port would be nice eventually, but I'd use the adapter to stick with my existing family of FW 800 Drives. Preference would be to buy a new model 17" MBP with Anti-Glare Screen in 2 years or so, but it seems that Apple is leaving its high end customers in the ditch, and will probably not provide such a MBP.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Update MBP 17" Now, or Settle for 15" MBP in the Fu...

G