Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon movie files unusable

Mike_Smith

UK
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Mike_Smith Registered since 14th May 2013
Tue 14-May-13 01:07 AM | edited Tue 14-May-13 01:09 AM by Mike_Smith

I'll try to lay out this problem simply in numbered points to make this clear. I don't want to rant and rave, though I feel like doing so right now.

1. Bought a Nikon D5200. STUNNING video footage, utterly amazing, cannot find the words to describe it.

2. Play back the files on two PCs and a laptop. All three computers have the wonderful K-Lite codec package installed which means they play any file, including the MPEG2 H.264 .mov files from the Nikon. Again, stunning stuff.

3. To edit them though, my computer is a little on the old and slow side. Decent enough (Core 2 Quad) and I learn it shouldn't be an issue if I convert the source files to something nice and efficient. ProRes is out as I'm not on a Mac, but Avid DNxHD also sounds great, everyone seems to recommend it.

4. To convert, I decide to use MPEG Streamclip. Everyone also recommends it, can't believe it's free! Even Nikon officially recommend it.

5. I follow the MPEG Streamclip instructions carefully. I may have the K-Lite codec pack, but I install the exact version of Quicktime Alternative as they recommend.

6. For the full process, I follow this handy video, which combines the use of MPEG Streamclip with the DNxHD codecs. Couldn't ask for more help in the process, an idiot could follow it! youtube.com/watch?v=6nBEK1AKiL8

7. My converted videos show up blank. Just a black screen. Audio, no video.

8. If I try to import a single video into Streamclip, it's just white. Pure white. Nothing else.

9. Neither the "converted" videos or the originals will show up in any Adobe software. I'm on CS4 (stuck on 32 bit hardware for the time being) so After Effects, Premiere or even Media Encoder (which would make me laugh in any other situation). All just black screens with perfect audio.

10. If I open the videos using the exact version of Quicktime Alternative (which plays files using Media Player Classic) I was told to use for MPEG streamclip, I get a TRANSPARENT video. We've had the lot now, white, black, invisible. As I've already said, if I use the K-Lite Codec pack (which plays files using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema), they work a treat.

I have NEVER been this angry with something related to computers, film, video, cameras, or any technology really. Last year I had quite a severe car-crash due to mechanical failure which I was lucky to survive and it didn't anger me anywhere near as much as this is. I have gone insane, I need answers, I have nothing left but posting this on every forum I possibly can. I promise to carefully read any replies and remain calm and patient in resolving this.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon movie files unusable