Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Working Out My Workflow

JMidJr

Mayo, US
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JMidJr Registered since 15th Mar 2013
Fri 10-May-13 02:37 PM

After years of editing scanned jpegs on Windows systems using Paintshop Pro, I've over the last two years shifted to a more up to date (and fun, and reinvigorating!!!) system. But I'm very much new to this sort of workflow. The ease of processing is amazing, but the multiple steps need to be worked out in sequence. Yes, trial and error... But I believe in learning from the mistakes of others (hence, I wear seat belts, etc.) So I'd like to hear suggestions on simplifying my workflow.

System (briefly): Nikon D7000, mostly nature work using Nikkor 300mm with 1.4 teleconverter. Import to Apple MacBook (dual monitor setup) using Capture and initial processing with View NX2 (many shots seem to need little more processing.) I crop here so nothing is lost, convert from View to .tiffs, archiving the NEFs. The whole file management will be another topic someday.

I open the .tiff files in Photoshop Elements 11 and adjust them with NIK software plugins. I start with Dfine (although I'm so new to it I just use defaults right now.) Then, if only a bit of tweaking is needed I use Viveza to enhance saturation, contrast, etc. If I think more is needed I use Color Efex Pro 4. (Geez, if I'd had this all along so many of those lousy images could have been saved! Scary what can be done once I get more experience, post some images, and get your feedback.)

If that's not confusing enough, I don't know what's the best route next. Here's what I think I'll be doing henceforth. I'll resize (using Nikonians gallery guidelines of 1800 pixels on the longest side and 10 megs maximum file size. Watermark using PSE 11 brush, sharpen for display using Sharpener Pro 3, and save to the appropriate place in my "file management system."

That's complex in so many ways that I can't help thinking my ignorance is leading me to some inefficiency that could be avoided were I an expert like you Hence this post. Advice or suggestions? I've invested all I can/care to in software for now, so suggestions for making the existing suite of applications work more efficiently will be appreciated.

A photographer for 50+ years, still trying to get it right (and loving every soft/fuzzy minute of it - sigh)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G