Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

42-Bit Image Filtering and Editing

f5fstop

Private, UM
2947 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic Member
Sat 11-Nov-00 02:06 PM

Ok, as I said before I'm new to this scanning of slides/negatives/photos, and the two software packages that came with the scanner are PhotoDeluxe 4.0 and Photoshop 5.0 LE. Neither of these packages allow editing of a photo scanned in at 42-bit (when I mean editing, I mean the used of filters, changing image size, changing hue, saturation, etc.). The software packages require the bit-depth to be reduced to 24 bit before editing can be performed.

Does a full-blown (extremely overpriced, in my opinion) copy of Photoshop allow editing of these photos while still at 42-bit?
Are there any other programs out there that are just as good for scanning photos in, but a little less expensive, and still allow the editing of a 42 bit photo.

Now, those who know me understand that I'm not a cheap person; however, since I will only be using this software for scanning in my photos (and some friends' photos from time-to-time), I feel it is rather ludicrous to purchase a software program that will be used about once every two months that costs in the area of $500.00.

Also, if Photoshop is the best way to go (or the only way to go), has anyone had any luck purchasing this package on eBay?

Just to let you know, I'm currently scanning in my slides at 42-bit and saving them as a .tif file, and yes, they are large files. Later, when I plan on posting them to my website I will drop them down to a reasonable size .jpg file. However, scanning in as a .tif file allows me to keep a file that will not lose detail, as a .jpg file.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Doug

--Take only photographs, leave nothing but footprints--

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"

Click on image to view larger version

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 42-Bit Image Filtering and Editing
                         Reply message (AOL graphics view Fix!) RE: 42-Bit Image Filtering an...
                              Reply message RE: (AOL graphics view Fix!) RE: 42-Bit Image Filterin...

G