Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

DO NOT update your Lightroom!

csgaraglino

Colorado Springs, US
647 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
csgaraglino Silver Member Charter Member
Wed 16-Jan-08 02:12 PM

After updating my LR from 1.0 to 1.1 I started seeing several weird things going on. The most relevant is that fact that the new version of LR (in the Library Mode) renders the images differently on your screen and stores the data differently in the catalog file. Actually it "converts" your existing file to a new set of standards.

Anyway, the rendering process when storing the XMP data to the file has some major issues. Look at the examples below. The blurred version of the image was from the rendering.

In this example, the first image is open from a NEF file, the second is after the rendering from bumping the exposer by 1/3 stop.

It doesn't matter what file type I work with or which Quick Develop setting I use, it will blur the image beyond recognition! The more you bump the more blur you get.

Now after talking with Adobe this morning, they clearly stated that they are aware of a catalog corruption issue, and that this issue is more severe with customers who have started using LR from a beta version. That also stated that because getting a corrupted catalog during an update was not repeatable, that (the directors) chose to NOT release this information!

So they are dealing with it on a one-on-one basis.

To date, there is no fix available for download. What they are telling me to do is:
1. Go to EDIT
2. Go to PREFERENCES
3. Click GO TO CATALOG SETTINGS
4. Make sure that "Write Develop settings..." and "Automatically write changes into XMP" are checked.
5. Export ALL your images to an alternate location... (Yes, ALL OF THEM!)
6. Manually rebuild your catalog(s) from these exported images.

When I asked them about all the time I had invested in my catalogs, their only response was; Sorry?

Now I don't know if this is related to my PC and the MAC version is different, but your existing catalog is at risk if you choose to update. Period!

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

---
Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Google+

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DO NOT update your Lightroom!
Reply message My catalog is fine

G