New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5
swyost

Is from: US
949 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
swyost Registered since 24th Aug 2007
Mon 12-Mar-07 01:15 AM
This may seem like an odd post for this forum, but if you are struggling with performance issues related to your internet security package, there may be a new alternative out there. Symantec just released a program that actually seems to work with much less of a system hit. I’d been finding that Trend Micro’s products were slowing both boots and program access, and then that Zone Alarm's new release almost ground my new laptop to a halt. A friend suggested checking out Symantec’s Norton Genesis project (now released as Norton 360) and I have been impressed.

Its footprint is a fraction of the size the other programs, boot up is now about 45 seconds from log in (with lots of boot items on my new laptop), internet access has fewer freezes, and photo processing applications now have better performance. I’ve tested the firewall at the GRC site, and it operates in full stealth mode as well (no open ports). It also has a built in disk optimizer, backup program, and 2 gig of on-line secure storage space (with an option to purchase more). The backup just does a straight up non-encrypted backup of selected files to your choice of location. I’ve avoided Symantec products for several years, but this got me to reconsider (no, I haven’t gone to work for Symantec). BTW, it is available as a trial download.....

Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery

G