Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your photo organizing software?

Keegan

Los Angeles, US
242 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Keegan Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2005
Thu 05-Jan-06 12:09 AM

I know there are tons. Some like iViewMediaPro, others like Photo Mechanic, some just use Photoshop browser, or Adobe Bridge, etc. I've been using PhotoGrid to quickly sort through my photos from any given shoot and erase the bad ones. This is for jpegs only, I don't know if it reads NEFs.

I'm looking for a new browser for images. PhotoGrid doesn't display all of the EXIF data, and doesn't allow me to erase images when I'm looking at them in the slide show. I have to stop the slide show and go back to the preview grid view and find the one I was just looking at full-screen in the slide show to erase it. It can be very hard to differentiate from 10 photos of the same scene when looking at little thumbnails (taken with VR in hopes of finding the sharpest photo of the bunch later). It is easier to see your keeper when you are looking at it full frame. Just one of a couple gripes.

What are peoples favorite software for the organizing/eliminating stage of their workflow? I'd say for me the things it needs are:

1. SPEED, needs to be FAST, even on my old 1.25GHZ powerbook (so Aperature is OUT).
2. EXIF data displayed
3. Ability to scroll through images fast at full-screen, and erase them.

I am also at that stage where images are piling up fast. I just have them organized in a folders by their shoot date on my HD. I have not got into keywords for images or any of that, but now that I have 20-some thousand images, is it time for more organization?

Any thoughts would be very helpful.

keegan

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Your photo organizing software?

G