Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Creative Nature & Outdoor Photography by Brenda Tharp

Obregon

New York City, US
2609 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Tue 13-May-03 02:44 PM

This new book aims at the advanced photographer and doesn't bother with basic discussions like exposure or equipment. Tharp believes that the secret of photographic creativity is learning to see (shades of Freeman Patterson!) After discussing seeing, Tharp focuses on a number of more advanced subjects like light and composition and shows how she has applied her creativity in these areas. Her photographs are quite good, if just a little snappy.

For me the book raised a couple of questions. Can you teach photographic creativity, by book or otherwise? For those of us who might feel that there is no field of human endeavor that can't be taught and learned, we'd be disappointed if this was not possible. But I'm not certain every one agrees with me.

The second question is whether Tharp's approach works. There are many books out here by a number of different artists who purport to teach photographic creativity (Niall Benvie, Tony Sweet, Freeman Patterson) and each of them takes a different approach. Photographers probably are not a homogeneous group in the way they learn, and therefore, one author may be better for a particular photographer than another. Most of us probably don't know which one will be best and so we have to try a number of different authors before we find which one fits our learning style. (You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince.) Tharp is certainly worth a try.

For a little more information see my review on Amazon. Com at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/cm/member-reviews/-/A1F6PIIZ0ZHHD6/ref=cm_aya_rev_all/104-5833204-7274315

G