Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

When we had no meters .... at hand

jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX
38680 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter Member
Wed 24-Jan-01 07:09 PM

Hell, not even nostalgia is what it use to be; however, my cameras have helped me to understand that, no matter what, change is wonderful and beneficial.

I am ill at home -therefore in a foul mood-, awaiting for a terrible cold to be contained so that I can have another small required surgical intervention.
Hard to concentrate on anything, under the influence of a truck load of medicine, I was glancing at some old magazines and books and stumbled upon an incredible photograph taken during WWII in the European theater of operations.

I do hope your monitor is well calibrated because it is a gem of a photo, one of those very hard light/dark scenes, appearing on the New Yorker, August 12, 1944 edition (as reproduced by LIFE's "Our Finest Hour"). Not only clearly depicts the time, the mood, the sentiments; but shows all sort of detail both in the dark and under the light. The most incredible thing is that it was taken with a meter-less camera for sure, and at a time and place where to whip out a hand-held meter was a dangerous waste of time, even if you were crazy enough to be carrying one.

So this incredible shot prompted me to dig into my horribly kept files to see if I had anything remotely like that. This is something I found, a picture I took of my dad a long long time ago: with a SLR, but no RGB meter, no matrix metering, no metering!. No TTL flash, no Zone system nor Ansel Adams reading, no color, no auto aperture, DOF dimly visible for sure, no tripod then and very low ASA!.

I can resist anything but temptation. So many toys, so little time... However, the question remains: can I at least make pictures like that again, now, with all of the modern tools at hand?. I must, otherwise my opening remark about change would be untrue. I'll let you know.

Have a great time
JRP
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time :-)
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Mainly at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story
Please join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members who help this happen; upgrade.
Check our workshops at the Nikonians Academy and the Nikonians Photo Pro Shop

Subject
ID
Reply message Before the meters
Reply message RE: Before the meters
Reply message RE: When we had no meters .... at hand