Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Thoughts on sharing equipment (lenses, flash, etc.)

alphaod

Shanghai, CN
75 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
alphaod Registered since 23rd Nov 2008
Wed 06-Nov-13 01:52 AM

I used Canon for a long time, but my father has been a Nikon shooter for ages. When it came time to buy a new camera, I was talked instead by the sales person and my father into buy a Nikon. The idea was my dad would share this lenses with me, which was great because his collection is quite big.

Well to this day, my father has never shared any lenses with me. Doesn't matter what he promised. Doesn't help that I live far from him.\

Okay, over the years I've amassed quite a bit number of lenses. All which get good use one way or another. I have a number of friends who are just getting into this world and they have not yet invested in any equipment. A lot like to buy expensive bodies, but cheap lenses (unfortunately).

Well even though I've never offered, I suspect they will want to borrow my equipment soon.

I've grown up with the notion where I'm not exactly prone to say no when a family member or friend asks to borrow something, but a lot people I know don't seem to appreciate that just because I can afford these things, it doesn't mean I don't care if they break it or worse don't return.

---

Now the question: Do you lend equipment like lenses, flashes, etc., to you friends/family? How do you prevent them from mishandling your equipment even if they are normally very careful? Do you ever just flat out tell them no?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Thoughts on sharing equipment (lenses, flash, etc.)

G