Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress

RLDubbya

US
553 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011
Sat 23-Mar-13 02:04 PM

Wasn't sure at all where to post this.

A friend of mine put together a benefit calendar using CafePress. I sent her 6 JPGs. A couple other photographers submitted images as well.

My photos look simply terrible printed out on the calendar; the other photographs look fine.

I shoot in RAW, and process with LR4. I generated highest quality JPGs, they're 4,000 x 2,600 pixels (approx), at 300dpi. The JPGs are about 10-12Mb in size, each. When I open the JPGs on my monitors, they look fine (2 uncalibrated monitors, 1 calibrated). When I print them at 8x10, the same size as the calendar, they're fine. Suitable for framing.

My friend says that when she opens them on her computer, they're "grainy". She lives across the country, so I can't see what she means. She's verified the size of the images.

Clearly, by the time CafePress prints them, something has gone terribly wrong - it looks like they've printed out a jpg that had maybe 100x60 pixels of resolution. There's an incredible amount of pixelation, and no detail.

Any thoughts?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePr...

G