Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Home Brew Test Chart ...

HBB

Phoenix, US
8783 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Wed 20-Feb-13 12:07 AM | edited Wed 20-Feb-13 03:24 PM by HBB

I whipped up this quick and dirty test chart one afternoon to try and come up with something better than the want ads in the local paper for evaluating new lenses.

It is 24 by 36 inches and occupies a place of honor on the door from our kitchen to the utility room. At 24 x 36 inches (2:3 aspect ratio) I can fill the frame with the chart.

It is shown here in landscape format. On the door, it is in portrait format.

It was printed on my Epson P7900 printer, on Epson Premium Luster paper.

In addition to the small grid squares, there are a series of 1 2, 4, and 8 pixel wide lines around the center set of colored squares. The one pixel lines to the right of the center squares are not quite visible in this image.

The colored squares and circles are primary RGB and complementary CMY created in Photoshop.

Among other things, the chart will quickly disclose any barrel or pin cushion distortion present in a lens. It can also be used to detect color shifts due to the color temperature of ambient illumination.

I typically try a new zoom lens at several focal lengths, apertures, and subject to lens distances, from closest focus to the other end of the room. Primes are tested at closest focus to the other end of the room.

It is important to be sure the camera sensor is parallel to the chart on the door, and the central focus rectangle centered on the magenta square in the middle. I use a flash shoe two-axis bubble level for leveling the camera.

While not as exotic as other charts, it meets my needs nicely.

My wife "Loves!" explaining it to our dinner guests.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Home Brew Test Chart ...

G