Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Went to a gallery exhibit

SheriB

Southern York Co, US
1973 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
SheriB Gold Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010
Wed 06-Feb-13 05:03 PM

Reading Dan's post about being apathetic hit home.I decided to make the effort to go to an exhibit at the local Art Association. 5 local photographers. Info on the FB page and website made it sound like it was going to be wonderful,these top photographers from the area showing some of their best work. Their hours make it hard for those of us who work ( especailly those of us who work 7 days a week .) 9-3 M-F, and 9-12 Sat. Saturday morning I got up, fed and turned out horses, changed into presentable clothing ( something that didn't smell like a barn)and headed up the highway.I could do barn work later.
I knew the Association's Gallery is a little small, and with only 5 photogs I was not expecting it to take me all that long to view the exhibit.72 works were hung.One photographer did some very interesting macro shots of slag glass. Yet, there were so many of this same subject I was left wondering "If she has the insight to envision what she captured here, when looking in those hunks of glass, what else has she come up with." In retrospect I realize that many artists show their work in a series.
Another print,by a different photographer, the second one I looked at as I walked in the door, probably about 14x20, was an abstract reworking/composite of a sunset/beach scene. Covered with sensor dust.Even standing back from the image it caught my eye enough to make me move in closer to see what it was.( I tried to make sure I viewed these images at a distance, knowing we can become overly critical and nitpicky,especially those of us who are photographers) If you are not going to fix it in pp, why get it enlarged, framed,and then hang it in a gallery and ask money for it? On another there was a lot of ghosting around some birds. I have never enlarged any of my shots past letter sized, and never really view any large photographic print before so, these impressions could just be my inexperience in viewing ANY type of art exhibit in person.
Maybe I was expecting more than just a handful of the shots to even catch my eye for more than a passing glance. Many of them just seemed like average snapshots. Some of them, I wished there had been a short artist's statement that may have explained a little about the photographer's thought process on some of the more abstract montage images. Is this something that is done or not so much?
So I left a little disappointed ( THIS is the best York has to offer??) yet determined to make the effort to attend some other showings in the area.They can be few and far between,but I am hoping that by doing this I will at least be exposed to other ideas.In the worst case scenario, ( or maybe best??) I might decide that I can produce just as good or better and put myself out there and get one or two of my images hung somewhere.

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Went to a gallery exhibit