Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Workshop Subject Equality

kennoll

Seattle, US
953 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011
Sat 05-Jan-13 06:35 AM

OK, I need to speak up here. Myself and a few more (hundreds of) Nikonians live up here in the Pacific Northwest. We're somewhat remote from the rest of the continental U.S. Not all of us can afford to travel to far off places to take advantage of workshop topics that are of interest to us. What does that mean? Well, I for one would like workshops that are not only equipment specific. Example is that all the workshops that are listed for this area (Seattle, Bellevue, WA) are concerned with the D800, D600 & iTTL. Sorry, not interested, I'm fine with the hardware I have. But, I would be interested in subjects like urban and street photography, The Passionate Nikon Photography Two-Day Mastery Workshop, Lightroom, etc. Other workshop locations get local feature specialty workshops such as Eastern Sierras and The Owens Valley, Monument Valley and Slot Canyons, etc, etc, etc. Seattle/Bellevue gets hardware workshops. Blech!

What does the Seattle area have to offer by way of subjects matter? Well how about the Cascade Mountains, Olympic Mountains, wine country, ski areas (I mean SKI SLOPES, not bunny hills), Puget Sound, Seattle's Public Market, the tulip festival of Skagit Valley, eagles on the Skagit River, salmon runs, Orca whales in the Sound, Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, Mt Baker,.... Except for "the wine country" this doesn't even start listing anything east of "the mountains". People get excited when "the mountains out" meaning one can see Mt Rainier clearly without the ever present cloud cover. The area, the state, is so alive with photo opportunities one doesn't know where to start.

I think every workshop offering for an area needs to include something of a local nature or subjects to improve ones technical ability with areas they are familiar with and just need a little help in capturing them in a meaningful way. If the Nikonians workshop crew would look at an area they could focus on local features that would be of interest and then teach local, interested Nikonians how best to capture the essence of the subject areas.

Teach your hardware classes, but, give those of us not interested in hardware another option to better capture the subjects around us.

I have a Nikon D300s. I'm happy with it. Not going to upgrade. So, Nikonians workshop people, help me, and others, to use our equipment to the best advantage, to best capture the features of where we live.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

G