Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New Year's Resolutions for Photographers

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Tue 01-Jan-13 01:13 PM | edited Tue 01-Jan-13 01:16 PM by agitater

My first New Year's resolution is 24mp.

Resolution #2 - I will immediately terminate any phone call, no matter who it is, that begins with "I don't have a backup of my photos and I've been trying for an hour to boot up my PC."

Resolution #3 - Just the facts Ma'am, just the facts . . . no more participation in interminably long threads about why someone should stick with DX/FX/Nikon. You want to go? Go! You want to stay? Stay! Work it out on your own instead of begging people to talk you into something. I'm going to concentrate solely on offering technical and creative help wherever I can on Nikonians, along with encouraging fellow Nikonians to get out and shoot more often.

Resolution #4 - The annual camera bag sale is on now and for the next three weekends at my place. I reviewed over twenty different camera bags last year. That's twenty in 2012, on top of the 15-20 from 2011, on top of the 20-30 from 2010, etc., etc., on top of the bags I actually use. I've got to get rid of these things a lot faster from now on.

Resolution #5 - By continuing to exercise regularly and maintain healthy eating habits, support ongoing photo walkabouts and also avoid the third stage of life, to wit: Stage 1) you believe in Santa Claus, stage 2) you don't believe in Santa Claus, stage 3) you are Santa Claus.

Resolution #6 - Now that the holiday season is over, it's time to make the Christmas cake/fruit cake for next year. Here's my favorite recipe.

Christmas cake recipe

1. 1 cup of water
  2. 1 cup of sugar
  3. 4 large brown eggs
  4. 2 cups of dried fruit
  5. 1 teaspoon of salt
  6. 1 cup of brown sugar
  7. Lemon juice
  8. Nuts
  9. 1 bottle of whisky

Preparation: Sample the whisky to check for quality. Take a large bowl. Check the whisky again. To be sure it's the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again. Make sure the whisky is still OK. Cry another tup. Tune up the mixer. Beat two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the turner. If the fired druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it goose with a drewscriver. Sample the whisky to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares?

Check the whisky. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon the sugar or something. Whatever you can find. Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window.
Check the whisky again. Fall asleep.

Resolution #7 - Shoot tighter! That means not only closing in on subjects (walk/climb/crawl closer - don't just zoom, because the longer you zoom, the blurrier the result no matter how much you believe that exotic VR works like magic), but also shooting when subjects are closer together or more tightly integrated in the frame.

Resolution #8 - When Nikon announces and delivers a successor to either the D7000 or the D300s (not later than April or May - just as I predicted 18 months ago), I will leave the cameras alone. I will not buy the review copy sent to Kickstartnews. I will instead observe the still-legion D200, D2XS, D300, D40/50/60/3000/3100/5000 shooters as they upgrade in relief. I will just review the camera and then send it back! Too many cameras + not enough time to use them enough to become perfectly comfortable with each one = not as many keepers as I'd like.

Resolution #9 - Resolve to shoot smarter, because it saves money! Believe it. The more attention we all pay to exposure, white balance and composition when we're actually shooting, the less time we have to spend in post. Ergo, my two year old Dell Studio XPS 435T, Core i7/920/2.67GHz/12GB RAM workstation should be way more than good enough. Well, hmmm, maybe more RAM and a new graphics card (that Radeon 5700 is getting a bit long in the tooth). And the newest IPS pro panels are looking really, really nice what with all that talk about being able to easily and accurately display 100% of sRGB. So maybe it's time to replace the monitor. Hmmm. It's only money.

Resolution #10 - Renew my Nikonians subscription.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers