Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Horseradish.

gbowen

Canton, US
1111 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011
Mon 19-Nov-12 07:14 PM

That's my word for today, and it's what I say when people start saying you can't make good images with cheap equipment. I wish I still had the photos I made with the pinhole camera I helped one of my kids make for a science project in school.

A camera is really a simple device when you boil it down to the basics. Lenses are far more complex, but again, do you really need that lens that costs as much as a good used car? Horseradish. Can you live without AF and VR, and ED, and all those other acronyms? You bet your horsepucky!

Did Ansel Adams have any of that stuff? Of course not, yet many try to emulate him. What do you suppose he'd say about modern camera and lenses? Well, I would think he'd say concentrate on the image, because it's everything.

This may seem like a rant, but it's not. I am saying don't get hung up on equipment. I see a lot of that going on in the forums. Heck, I got caught up in that and I nearly quit because I don't have the latest whiz-bang camera or lenses. Horseradish I say!

So now, here I am, back at square one with a whole new attitude. I love my camera and lenses! They are part of me and by golly I am going to be the best doggone photographer I can be. Light is my friend and I am going to learn all I can about him and how to use light to create some magic.

Heck, I might even build another pinhole camera, just for fun! Who is with me?

George

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Horseradish.