Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Buying equipment in Mexico

DaiBragg

Naples, US
461 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DaiBragg Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2007
Sat 06-Oct-07 04:11 PM

I have posted this in my indifferent Spanish in the Spanish Cafe but will also ask the question here.
Each year to avoid the sub artic Wisconsin winter we slide out under the ice curtain and head for San Miguel De Allende in Mexico from November to April.
This year I want to try my hand at portrait photography. I have never ever done that before and have no studio equipment. I am want to buy a couple of Umbrellas and softboxes etc together with their stands.
My question is: Would it be better to buy these in the US or buy them in Mexico and save the problem of getting them to Mexico.
I do have access to a room plenty large enough for a studio and know I can get material for backdops and I will be able to get a craftsman to make me a backdrop holder. I am not looking to be a professional. I just want a learning experience and a winter project.
Does anyone have any experience of the price differentials between Mexico and the US.
Dai

PS If anyone wants to correct my Spanish, feel free. Are soft boxes in Spanish really "cajas suaves" which was my guess as they were not in my dictionaary

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G