Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Give Them What They Want?

MelT

Petersburg, US
4608 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MelT Registered since 06th Jul 2002
Wed 16-Jan-08 02:08 PM

I am not sure where to post this so I decided to post it here. Most recently, I have been shooting existing light shots at night in a relatively dimply lit pub. I have been shooting at 3200 ISO with perhaps a 28/1.4 or an 85/1.4 lens wide open. Perhaps due to my lack of skills, I have found it simply impossible to produce a "natural" looking shot when it comes to processing the final file so for fun, I have been going the other direction and one over the top with my process that results in a VERY unnatural look photo. Now the type of crowd that frequents this place is a little different .

Well it seems like the more over-the-top I go with processing, the more nuts they go over a photograph. The below is of a musician. Everyone has given a "wow" over it to include the musicisn who wants to use it for a CD cover. The base photo was blurred to begin with because of his movement and the slow shutter speed I shot it with. Now if I posted it in the critique forum, I REALLY suspect I would get hammered for it . This is not a criticism of the critique forum which I think is very good. It is simply a fact of life.

I think we all work hard at profecting the perfect digital print. I know I do. The more natural (less digital) the finished print looks, the better. That is why comments are made such as "too sharpened" or "to agreesive with noise reduction", etc. Over digitital processing usually gets a frown in this neck of the woods we call Nikonians .

This is where the conflict arises for me. I feel almost like someone who wants to be a concert violinist with a symphony but I get more raves playing fiddle music .

What the people are seeing is very different from traditional photography and perhaps that is why they like it. As I said, they are a different but "wow" comments have come from people outside of this environment as well. I have a photo of a drummer which is processed way over-the-top. A VERY traditional minded gal, in her early 50s, wants me to take the same type of photo of her drummer husband and she said she would hang it in their living room.

This all started off with me playing around with some really awful files (extreem ISOs in difficult lighting conditions). While my traditional photography has received praised, it is hard to ignore the excitement and energy that has been displayed out these creations I have been doing that is really just playing around.

The reason for this post is just to see if anyone else has come across a situation like I am under? Have you ever found that your fiddling gets more attention then your violin playing at times?

I am curious what your reaction, as photographers, about the shots posted. I know in the past I would just kind of turn my nose down at it and think that is not photography but graphic arts. What I am having trouble with is reconciling the fact that people seem to just love it.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Mel

An Opinionated Old Curmudgeon from Virginia

Website - www.meltalley.com
Blog - http://blog.meltalley.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/mel.talley
Twitter - @meltalley

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Give Them What They Want?

G