Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Velvia

karlmarx

Montreal, CA
72 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
karlmarx Basic Member
Fri 16-Feb-01 05:38 PM

Study Break!!!

What does it really mean? A break from the studies or a break TO study? }> I caried all my equipment to shoot today after my midterm but the overcast day didn't produce any sastisfying enough light to make me endure the -10 Celcius temperature. So I bought (for the first time) the Outdoor Photographer magazine.

The pictures by John Netherton made me realised (it was about time) what Fujichrome Velvia and color saturation meant! I just recently made the plunge into professionnal films and don't know a lot about them. (My favorites ones being for the moment Provia 100F, Provia 400F and NHG II, also shooted some Ektachrome) I was really impressed with to colors given by the Velvia and I am craving to try some. (I will take a couple of them the next time I go shooting Lansdcape, = another good reason for getting a second body since I need higher speed film in my F70 for wildlife).

What do you think about this film? I remember reading somewhere, maybe on this site, that some people don't like it because it sometimes produce colors that are not seen in the world anyway. It is not a good reason, in my opinion, to discard the film since I am one of those who believe photography is not an honest representation of the world but rather an interpretetion of it. I would like to know your opinions on Velvia (and maybe other film like it that I don't know) as well as you're experience with it. When do you use it? Is they're any mistake that I would like to avoid first hand? What should I do to get the best results out of it? I would also want to read the reasons of those of you who don't like it and never use it.

Thanks in advance !

Simon

G