Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Carlsbad Caverns

Punky

El Paso, US
691 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Punky Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 20th Dec 2008
Sat 16-Feb-13 05:58 PM

Here are a few images I took in December when visiting Carlsbad Caverns National Park with my son. We arrived late in the afternoon right before three. We were the last party to actually go in through the natural entrance. I had with me my new (to me) Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm f/2.8. This was my first time to use the Tokina. My fist two images are shot with the 24-70 and the last two are with the Tokina. Unfortunately, We were being rushed out by the Park Rangers, as we were literally the last ones in the cave. So, I would run ahead of everyone to try and find a good image to capture, set up hurriedly and shoot. I like the last image, but it was shot at a larger aperture than the others. I think the Tokina did the images justice. All images shot with available path lighting and "spot light" lighting to show the cave structures. The use of flash is permitted inside the cave, but none used for these shots. All shot with a D300s on tripod, manual mode with cable release, Nikkor 24-70mm and Tokina 11-16mm.

Jeff

Visit
my Nikonians gallery.

Cave entrance

Click on image to view larger version

24-70mm @24mm f/8.0 4 seconds ISO400

Tokina 11-16mm @13mm f/7-1 5 seconds ISO400

Tokina 11-16mm @ 11mm f/3.5 2.5 seconds ISO 400

Attachment#1 (jpg file)