Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Dr Livingstone, I presume?

MasterDabber

Camberley, UK
3320 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MasterDabber Registered since 10th Dec 2005
Tue 22-Jan-13 12:38 PM

Sir Henry Morton Stanley (born in Wales) became one of the New York Herald's overseas correspondents and, in 1869, was instructed to find the Scottish missionary and explorer David Livingstone, who was known to be in Africa but had not been heard from for some time.

Stanley travelled to Zanzibar in March 1871 and outfitted an expedition with the best of everything, requiring no fewer than 200 porters. This 700 mile expedition through the tropical forest became a nightmare.
Stanley eventually found Livingstone on 10 November 1871, in Ujiji near Lake Tanganyika in present-day Tanzania, and greeted him with the now famous, "Doctor Livingstone, I presume?"

He died in London on 10 May 1904 and his grave, in the churchyard of St. Michael's Church in Pirbright, Surrey, is marked by a large piece of granite inscribed with the words "Henry Morton Stanley, Bula Matari, 1841–1904, Africa". Bula Matari, which translates as "Breaker of Rocks" or "Breakstones" in Kikongo.

I've been wanting to photograph his grave (it's only a few miles from where I live) and thought today would make a perfect contrast... the steamy jungle to the snowy English churchyard.

The second image is of St Michael's church to give some context to the setting. A typical English church and churchyard.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Dr Livingstone, I presume?

G