Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New bridge over the Thames

MasterDabber

Camberley, UK
3320 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MasterDabber Registered since 10th Dec 2005
Mon 21-Jan-13 12:47 PM

There has been a bridge over the River Thames at Walton since 1750. That bridge has long gone and since then there have been a total of 5 bridges on the spot. Bridge number 3 was damaged in World War II and temporary Bridges 4 was built. This was replaced in 1999 by Bridge number 5 (another temporary structure). At long last a new permanent (hopefully) bridge is being built (Number 6).

Bridges 4 and 5 are still in use whilst number 6 is being built.

I've been wanting to go capture a few images of these structures so today I went over there. To be honest it wasn't very easy. There were fences everywhere and very limited views but at least I got a few memories recorded.

#1 is looking towards the bridges. Bridge 6 is the nearest, then 5 and then 4 behind that. The mooring pylon is a bit in the way of the crane
but other than wading in the river I couldn't avoid it.
#2 shows from left to right - Bridge 6 under construction, Bridge 5 with traffic still using it, Bridge 4 restricted to cycles and pedestrians. (btw it was frosty this morning).
#3 Just part of the construction of the approach with old Bridge number 5 peaking out from behind. Not much actual construction activity today... maybe too cold!

Sorry for long intro... Probably not the most exciting images but hopefully of some interest.

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Subject
ID