Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Super Moons 2013

cwils02

HIXSON, US
826 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012
Thu 27-Jun-13 05:31 AM

These photos were all shot in the Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA area. All shots were recorded on Eastern Daylight Time.

Friday evening: I had just received my MAGICA order from photo pro shop. I scrambled to get everything together. With Markins Q20i & their BV-20 Gimbal (sort of). I was sure that something was wrong with the combo. I sure felt like a dummy by the time I got it figured out. I didn't get the hub replaced that evening. I went out onto my deck, but the moon was behind my trees. So I had to make two trips out into my dark yard to setup my camera & tripod.

Understand that I didn't do anything right. I couldn't see my camera. I was struggling to set the release dial to remote. Unlike the D7000, the D7100 doesn't have one there. So, I was stuck setting the shutter speed high enough to outdo the vibration form the mirror slap & my clumsy shutter technique. This 1st photo was taken about 25 hours before the Super Moon (See the darker/grittier edge on the left):

Click on image to view larger version

The 2nd Photo was taken the next evening or actually early morning of Sunday, just about the time of the real Super Moon. I shot this photo using the remote with the Mirror Up. Unfortunately, some light cloud cover decided to pose in front of the moon:

The 3rd & 4th photo were taken on Sunday evening at moonrise. There were heavy clouds at the time. Several of Chattanooga Photographic Society had gathered at the 7th floor clubhouse of a condominium overlooking the Tennessee River and downtown Chattanooga. I was afraid that there might be conflicts if several used remotes, so I shot with mirror up and a 3 second exposure delay. Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable about frames "yet" for image 3. What NOISE???

We were run out of the clubroom & balcony at 10pm. So when I got home, I searched for another place to take a photo. I found a place in my driveway that I could shoot through a hole in my neighbor's trees. This 5th image shows a moon a little after the Super Moon. Note the darker edge on the right.

I used a D7100 with 300/f4 7 TC14E II, no filters, various ISO, and apertures.

Charlie

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Super Moons 2013