Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Chicago Skyline, Ice, and Haze

kidsthehall45

Chicago, US
471 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kidsthehall45 Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Registered since 17th Jul 2012
Sun 10-Mar-13 05:18 AM | edited Sun 10-Mar-13 05:33 AM by kidsthehall45

First time posting an image for critique and am looking forward to learning from any advice/comments you feel to leave!

I set out looking to take sunset pictures further north of downtown, but lighting did not cooperate. I was inspired by some Chicago skyline pictures that a fellow nikonian had posted a couple of days ago so I got back in my car and headed south to Adler Planetarium. Once there I promptly ran into Dennis, the gentleman who had posted the earlier images and who was now out for another try. So, what started as a ruined sunset turned into two hours of great conversation, some fun pictures, and a random nikonian's meetup.

I'm posting the two below images because conditions changed quite a bit over those couple of hours. Initially, there was little wind and only a few clouds. The lake was much calmer than usual and made for some nice reflections. About 45 min before I headed home the wind picked up and heavier clouds rolled in with a little fog that accentuated the orange haze of the city.

I guess for the first picture I was going for a pretty standard skyline shot (and an excuse to try my new 16-35 f/4!). I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, except for some distortion that I couldn't quite seem to remove.

The second image I really like, but am not so sure of. A few things: 1) There is a plane taking off behind the Sears Tower and the long shutter time left a streak. I really like it, but was wondering if I should clone out?

2) The crop...I know the horizon is middle frame, but I liked it. Any thoughts?

3) No way to freeze the ice flow b/c of shutter speed, but I like how it frames the picture. Does the blur bother you?

4) I purposely over-exposed in post to punch up the haze and city lights. Too much?

Thanks for any replies, I've learned so much from these forums and it was great randomly meeting Dennis.

Nikon D600
Nikon 16-35 f/4

1st) 28mm, ISO 100, f/11, 20 sec
2nd) 18mm, ISO 100, f/11, 30 sec
Both taken in live view (for mirror up) and IR remote trigger.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Joshua Williams
www.iamaprairie.com
Please visit my gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Chicago Skyline, Ice, and Haze