Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

15 Gigapixel Waterfall Panorama

pollarda

Provo, US
68 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pollarda Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2007
Mon 17-Sep-12 11:54 PM | edited Tue 18-Sep-12 04:52 AM by pollarda

I shot this on Friday. This is the waterfall behind Sundance (Robert Redford's ski area). It is composed of 900 shots (in a grid of 36x25). Each shot was shot with my D800E with a 80-400 lens @ 400mm @ f13. This was mostly done as an experiment since there is a waterfall in Venezuela I would really like to do a similar treatment with.

Here is the linky: http://gigapan.com/gigapans/114571

I was hoping to get a bit more depth of field by using f13 (I didn't want to go too high to avoid diffraction) but now I wish I'd shot it at a higher f-stop as the depth of field was still too narrow. Also, if I were to do it again, I'd shoot multiple frames where needed and then focus stack. Of course, I'd have to be pretty dedicated to the picture given the 900 frames it took to put it together. Focus stacking could really add significantly to the workflow.

Also of final note, I ran all the RAW files through Photomatix to try to narrow the dynamic range a bit. That worked out pretty well but it did some wonky things with the sky even though I batch applied the same settings across all the photographs. It seems like the frames that didn't have anything else it it (such as bushes or mountain) came out lighter than those that did -- even though the sky is effectively the same between adjacent frames. I'm probably going to see if I can achieve the same thing in Lightroom....

Anyway, enjoy!

-Art

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 15 Gigapixel Waterfall Panorama