Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
bobpilot

Washington, US
3842 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007
Sat 18-May-13 11:21 PM | edited Sat 18-May-13 11:23 PM by bobpilot

What have I gotten myself in to this time?

I photographed a sporting event and a local restaurant gave all the athletes a free sandwich, a very good sandwich! (he also gave me a sandwich)

He noticed my camera and "Staff" badge (I got a photo pass for the event) and asked me what I did; I told him I took some photos of the event.

As I munched on my sandwich we talked a bit about photography and marketing. He asked me if I'd be interested in taking some photos of some new menue items for him. I told him I'm not a professional photographer, and that I've never photographed food. (I didn't think it counted that I've photographed my food at a restaurant). He said he'd pay me. I said I'd research food photography and we could talk about this idea.

I have two Buff softboxes and a striplight all with grids; and two Buff Einstein lights. But that is a lot of gear to transport and set up on location. And a lot to deal with for one person.

First: Should I even attempt this?

If I do, is natural light with some reflectors a better way to go than using big studio lights (I sure hope so)?

Or, should I get a lightbox?

Since this is a picture forum, I thought I'd post a few photos that I took of the food when it was served to me in a restaurant in Varazdin Croatia.

If these photos show that I have an eye for food photography, then I'll learn more about composition for food, lighting food, and techniques. I will give my thoughts on each image. Bear in mind that I did not take these to be food photos for marketing, although I did my best at the time to take photos that were good product shots; I took them to record my experience. Also, this was on a patio, I don't remember what the roof was, maybe an arbor, anyway the lighting was good, at least to my eye: diffused and soft. I used a 28-70mm lens, not a macro lens. I now have a 60mm macro and a 105 macro.

I like the table layout and composition of the items on the table; I like the low angle. The background seems too busy but it also provides an ambiance. If I were to take this shot again, I'd move things around to put the checkerboard more to the right. (The flag of Croatia has a red and white checkerboard, so you see this pattern a lot in various applications.)

Click on image to view larger version

I like the angle; the composition is good to my eye. Do-over: Square the image with the table cloth so the tablecloth is the background.

I like the angle and the composition although I'd like to see a bit more of the plate on the right. The focus is the main problem. I don't see enough in good focus. If I were to do take this shot today, I'd get the pasta in front of the tomatoes sharp.

I like the background and the table setting. The food could have a bit more light on it; a do-over would be to use a reflector.

I like this shot but I'd make a few changes; the plate on the left is too predominate and I'd move it to the left. The lighting seems fine and I like the low angle.

This seems a bit too close, but I've seen food shots like this, so I'm not sure.

Those are my thoughts, what are yours? Did I evaluate these about right? If I did, perhaps I should consider going forward with the project.
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Food Photography