Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
rpoyner

UK
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rpoyner Registered since 23rd Apr 2013
Sun 12-May-13 07:29 PM

Hi there, this is my first post, I'm a keen macro photographer and only recently read that distance to subject has a big impact also. I thought I'd check this out and did some tests on my Sigma 150mm lens, I plotted the results on excel (would attach if I knew how). It amazed me that going from 20cm to 40cm doubled the DOF for a given f stop, in fact more than doubled at higher f stops. Previously I have always tried to get as close as possible, this year I think I'll be keeping my distance from the bugs.
That's my question really, I've just upgraded from a D80 to a D600 and wondered is there an optimum subject distance to work at? I'd really appreciate your comments as I want to up my game this year. Many thanks in advance.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Depth of Field