Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focus Stacking question

Vlad_IT

US
1354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011
Mon 18-Feb-13 02:11 AM

Good evening all. I spent evening today refreshing my post processing Photoshop skills, which I lost for not using PS in the past year. I was 100% of the time in LR3.6 and then LR4.3

I needed to refresh my knowledge for panorama, focus and HDR stacking for upcoming project. I probably chose not the best object or rather point of view, but whatever is done – is done. I used computer software for automating focus changing while taking pictures. 22 images covered DOF about 2 inches.

Then I used two different techniques to load imaged into PS 5.1 for focus stacking. Sample #1 is pure NEF and sharpening is done on one of the last steps after all layers are merged and before converting to a JPEG. Sample #2 is done via loading all NEF files into Adobe Camera RAW and sharpening/adjusting those before exporting to PS for focus stacking.

I was expected to see better results in case #2, but I do not see it. I’m trying to figure out what possible I did wrong. To starter the number of files might be too much.. what else?

Sharpening after focus stacking

Click on image to view larger version

Sharpening each file before focus stacking:

Click on image to view larger version

Best regards,
Vlad

G