Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup

domer2760

Ann Arbor, US
1243 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
domer2760 Moderator Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his expertise in IR & Macro photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010
Fri 02-Nov-12 08:29 PM

I thought I would share an abstract photomicrograph I took last month. This is a microscopic view of Michigan maple syrup that was allowed to crystalize on a glass slide. The colors were due to cross-polarization. The horizontal field width of this image is 690 microns (0.69 mm., about 100X). 8 image stack.

All the technical mumbo-jumbo aside, I just thought it was pretty.

Click on the image below to see a larger view in my gallery.

Click on image to view larger version

For those of you who want to know the details, this was taken with a Nikon Eclipse Ci microscope, Plan 10X/0.25 NA lens, and a Nikon D300s digital camera. 1/20 sec, ISO 200. The image stack was aligned and stacked using the Zerene Stacker program. Post-processing was done with PhotoShop CS5.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Micro Abstract - Michigan Maple Syrup