Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jtmcg

Simsbury, US
5035 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jtmcg Moderator Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife, Macro & Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007
Wed 29-Aug-12 03:08 PM

I went back to the meadow where I found the wasp nest with its swarm of wasps. I found it again and was going to shoot it again (different day, different image) but there was one female wasp that wouldn't stop moving, so I wasn't able to get much of anything. About 20 ft. away I found another swarm, (same species Northern Paper Wasp) only this one was on a milkweed seed pod that had opened. No nest that I could see, just the pod. These were still enough that I was able to shoot 5 frames for a stack on this one.

Then a few more feet away I found this single Northern Paper Wasp who was apparently an independent and didn't caucus with either group.

Any way I tried 2 different crops of this second group and I'd be interested to hear which you prefer and which swarm you prefer. I'm posting the first one again so you won't have to toggle between the two posts.

So what's your ranking of the 3 swarm shots?

D800, 300f/4 w/ tubes. tripod

John

1. Nest

Click on image to view larger version

2. Pod1

3. Pod2

4. Loner with a dew drop tiara

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)