Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cheap telephoto using spotting scopes?

eekman

2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
eekman Basic Member
Sat 13-Jan-01 10:02 AM

Hello all,

I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this in; there doesn't appear to be a "right" one at the moment.

I just got myself an N80 (whoo-hoo!) and I really like telephoto, particularly when trying to get birds and other rather uncooperative subjects. Unfortunately, most of the larger focal length lenses are... shal we say, less than accessible to the average non-IPOed photo enthusiast.

It has been suggested to me that I look into spotting scopes. As an example, Celestron (www.celestron.com) specifically notes in most of their product line that with a few adapters (that they also sell), one can use the scopes with a 35mm SLR.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Obviously, astronomy and such will be easier than wildlife or people with a scope that large, but they also make some smaller ones that start at about $250. (This is for a 1000mm-4000mm zoom scope.) I don't know what the aperture would be on that one, but for that price and at that kind of magnification, I can be flexible. Any thoughts?

Ezra Ekman

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Cheap telephoto using spotting scopes?

G