Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Basketball floor camera, again

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Wed 20-Feb-13 11:31 AM

I posted previously about my initial attempts to use a remote floor camera. I tried it again last night using a somewhat different approach. I really wanted to strobe the remote because the D7000 I'm using is just too noisy at stop-action ISOs in this gym. Plus, this gym has really bad lighting at the end of the floor I shoot from. (The other end is filled with cheerleaders. I've never seen so many cheerleaders for one team. There must be 20 of them lined up at the end of the court.)

Anyway, I decided to put the camera on a small table-top tripod, as described in my previous post. I attached a PocketWizard to the shoe of the camera to fire the strobes, and used an IR remote to trigger the camera. This worked but was a little awkward since I was also holding a hand-held camera for tight shots and I ended up having to hold the IR remote in my hand while shooting the other camera.

Here is one of the shots I got. I didn't get great shots, mostly because I didn't take many. It was my senior son's final home game and a close one, so I was a little distracted by watching the game!

Click on image to view larger version

The 24-mm lens on the D7000 works out well in terms of field of view with the camera placed about 2 feet inside where the 3-point line meets the baseline and about 4-5 feet back from the baseline. After straightening and adjusting the image for perspective distortion using Photoshop's Lens Correction filter, it didn't need too much cropping. Here's the uncorrected, uncropped image:

Click on image to view larger version

I'm pretty happy with this technique, although I'll keep working at improvements.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Basketball floor camera, again