Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Runner and focus settings

poc

US
320 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Sat 16-Feb-13 04:06 PM

Hello all,
I am trying to get better at shooting some indoor H.S. track meets. Not easy!!
My specific question has to do with focusing and focus settings.

Location: In this venue you take what you get and the most ideal position seems to be as they are rounding the corner. Not much time to find your runner, and focus in.

What I have been doing: D600 with 70-200 VR II at 2.8 and around 100mm, ISO 3200. AF Continuous, d9 (I assume this is the number of focus points used). I find a subject reasonably close to my son, when they round the corner, I try to place the focus point on his yellow shirt, press the back focus button and shoot away....... with mixed results. I try to pan with him but on a number of shots the camera locks in on something else and typically back focuses. When I look at the images on the back of the camera I can see that the focus point is somewhere other than my runner. I typically begin with the runner coming towards me and end up catching them from the side. Samples enclosed.

What am I doing wrong? Where could I improve? If you have comments other than the specific question, I would welcome them.

No suggestion is too simple.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

POC

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G