Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

FGCU Tennis Invitational (image heavy)

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 21-Jan-13 02:25 AM | edited Mon 21-Jan-13 02:29 AM by Ferguson

I read through Perrone's thread, and Ryan's critique several times before embarking yesterday on a tennis shoot. I hope I learned something, but flaws are all mine.

Criticism or suggestions welcomed:

#1, D4, 200-400 @ 250mm @ F4, 1/800th

#2: D4, 70-200 @ 155mm @ F2.8:

#3: D4, 200-400 @ 220mm @ F4, 1/1600th. This was a heavy crop as I almost missed the shot, so nothing left on the left to include (I do have some more leg but I think it looked better cropped together).

#4: Here's the "feet come up slightly" that was mentioned in that other thread. It's a D4 with 200-400 @ 360mm @ F4, 1/2000th. It misses the moment of contact, but got the aerial aspect. Couldn't decide if I liked it for the feet, or disliked it for the ball position (which isn't where she is looking, isn't even obviously going to hit the racket).

#5: D4, 200-400 @ F4 @ 210mm, 1/1250th. This girl plays pretty good tennis but I had a heck of a time catching here in a shot that was photogenic, it frequently looked too awkward, especially her forehand. So here's the backhand.

#6: D4, 200-400 @ 340mm, F4, 1/1250th. Another of the over-the-net that was part of the debate in the other thread. I compromised, I got some of both.

#7: I had to let the D800 be represented, so here's one on the 200-400 @ 260mm, F4, 1/1250th. It's got a lousy background, but she looked better in the backhand than the forehand (with respect to a photograph at least).

I found the D800 a decent choice, it's under-represented here as I decided to just carry one camera the second day. I found that shooting bursts on the D4 only helped occasionally, the speed of the swing is such that a spray-and-pray approach just did not work well, I found I needed to anticipate the shot to get near the moment of contact with any consistency at all (and then only maybe 1 in 5 shots).

Anyway... if anyone wants to see the whole collection:

http://captivephotons.com/Events/FGCUTennis01192013

Criticism very much welcomed. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow, and can't shoot the third day of the event.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

G