Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

College Diving - Need ideas

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Wed 09-Jan-13 02:37 AM | edited Wed 09-Jan-13 02:42 AM by Ferguson

Shot a couple more swimming and diving meets. I've decided Swimming is the hardest sport to actually get a variety of interesting shots.

But Diving? Should be much more easy. I'm not struggling technically - I have light, focus, and repetitive activity so if I screw up I get another try. OK, harsh sun (both light-wise and my burned head) is a minor issue.

But even in diving it's hard to make it interesting, at least to me.

I've looked around for suggestions (made more difficult as most searches find scuba diving).

So... suggestions? Examples?

Some specific problems - about 80% of the directions I can shoot have bad backgrounds. Especially when I tried getting at the same level as the 3m synchro dives.

Anything near the water, no matter how low I get, is looking into at best chairs, at worst backs of buildings:

There are light poles everywhere, when I get down low and shoot up. Though I can often find blue sky, sometimes even without a pole (here I was limited in where I could stand, so also have some bad light):

Synchro dives from the low boards are WAY apart horizontally:

I tried just getting variety by changing sides of the pool, but the light was just too harsh to shoot into the sun. There's no where (accessible) to get above the divers, even if I could get access the building nearby is only about has high as some of the viewing stands.

But for all this most of the shots didn't end up so much bad as monotonous - I felt a bit like groundhog day. Like this shot; while the shot is clear, the girl is pretty (it's an all girl team), partly what they strive for is consistency. So I will get many of this position, varying just by rotation angle.

Any ideas how to shake up diving shots a bit?

Linwood

PS. Yes, casual shots, crowd, climbout shots, coaches, etc. I get it. But am asking really about the diving.

PPS. If anyone wants to see the two meets (diving is mixed in):

http://captivephotons.com/Events/FGCUSwimming010513

http://captivephotons.com/Events/FGCUSwimming010713

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: College Diving - Need ideas