Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Basketball Redux, Image heavy, did I learn anything?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5702 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 06-Jan-13 03:35 PM | edited Sun 06-Jan-13 03:40 PM by Ferguson

With thanks for advice in a prior post, I had the opportunity to shoot both Women's and Men's hoops yesterday (as well as swimming and diving - long day).

I tried to listen to all the advice from before. Not sure if I succeeded, but aimed for a bit brighter on the faces, accepted more noise in return for less plastic. I also took more noise for faster shutter and despite not expecting to need 1000th to stop action my keeper rate is MUCH higher if I get that fast. I also tried to crop closer (though I try to balance that with the school's need for thin horizontal formats -- go figure why that's their preferred for a sport like basketball).

The other thing I did is I trusted my eyes a bit less, and used a reading off of white on jerseys more, to pick a white balance point. To me these look a bit too yellow, but the whites measure as almost white (I actually still have it a bit bluer than lightroom wants). I'm curious what other people think on skin tone.

Here are a few shots for your entertainment, and if you have interest and time critique.

This is the D800 with 200/F2 @ F2, ISO 2500 and 1/1000th.

Same setup but ISO 3200 (and yes, am still fiddling with settings trying to get one set I can use and not mess with it during the shoot).

This was the D4 with 85/1.4 @ F2, 1/1000th ISO 3200. This kind the school can't use because it's the wrong shape, but to me this is much more interesting. Lightroom's fringe removal helped with purple from the backlight (and a great example of why one can't shoot auto exposure mode in these surroundings).

Same settings as above, the expression on his face as he delivers it, like a waiter rushing with a pizza, was intriging:

Same as above:

Final shot is the D4 with 24-70 @ f2.8, 1/800th and ISO 5000. I'm anxiously awaiting a 50/1.8 to shoot under the basket, to get that extra stop or so:

My thanks again to all those who have commented, I feel like I am making some progress and owe it to my friends at Nikonians (well, that and practice, practice, practice).

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

G