Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Usability/speed of group dynamic AF vs. center point only?

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Fri 04-Jan-13 09:40 PM | edited Fri 04-Jan-13 09:41 PM by ZoneV

Up to this point, I've been using only center point AF for everything. It works great. There's only one problem: centered compositions result most of the time. You can kind of fudge it sometimes utilizing lock-on with a medium or long delay, or utilizing an AF lock button (or AF-on button). But more often than not, when shooting sports, center point results in centered compositions that can only be changed by cropping later.

So, I'm curious about group dynamic. On paper, it sounds like it would be faster than regular dynamic (since it uses fewer sensors than regular dynamic, which I have found nearly useless due to a long delay).

Have those of you who use group dynamic found this to be true, or not?

Finally, I realize that on the D3 and newer bodies, Nikon has eliminated group dynamic. Perhaps there is a reason for this...is group dynamic really not all that great?

Nikon user since 2000

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Usability/speed of group dynamic AF vs. center poin...

G