Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A pro's shot

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Sat 29-Dec-12 11:50 PM

I thought this was interesting. Look at the lede graphic photo of UConn's Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis in this Hartford Courant article:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-women/hc-uconn-stanford-1230-20121229,0,4770286.story

The first thing to notice is that most of the EXIF data is intact in the image.

The next thing I noticed is that the image seems a bit underexposed. Not a lot, maybe 1/3 stop or so. And a tone curve would not be out of place, in my opinion, although in the fast-moving world of Web news reporting I think image processing is often crop-and-drop.

In the EXIF you can see that the shooter was using a D300S. The lens isn't identified in the EXIF, but the shot is at f/2.8 and 95mm, so it's a pretty good bet that is was a 70-200/2.8. And the older VR model, too, which is revealed by the flare-induced loss of contrast at the bottom of the image. (The older 70-200 is notorious for flare.)

Finally, the most surprising thing to me is that he was at ISO 3200 and 1/500 and probably should have been at ISO 4000. That's not much better than the local high-school gym! I would expect Maples Pavilion to have better light!

Anyway, I just found it interesting.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A pro's shot