Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Women's Basketball - New try, New lens (image heavy)

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5694 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sat 29-Dec-12 04:52 AM | edited Sat 29-Dec-12 04:53 AM by Ferguson

Criticism solicited. Tried this time to get the shutter speed up, had a new lens to get another stop (200/F2) which worked very well. Shot a quarter of the game from above with the 200 on the D4, and most of the rest with the 200 on the D800 so I could get its ISO lower, leaving a 24-70/2.8 on the D4 which can tolerate a stop or so more ISO noise.

#1: Here's the tipoff, with the D800, 200 @ F2, 1/1000th and ISO 3200:

#2: I had much better luck with action at the far end. This was same settings. When using the 70-200 I was less sharp, but was usually at 1/640th or 1/800th on the D800. This isn't all that crisp either, but much better.

#3: One of the shots from above, the D4 @ 1000th, ISO 2500 and the 200/F2. Getting a bit faster (1000th vs. 800th I usually shot) and dropping the ISO 2/3rds of a stop really helped with sharpness, and the shallow DOF helped with the messy background.

#4: But I think the most impactful shots were under the basket. D4, 1/1000th, ISO 5000 with a 24-70/28.

#5: Same settings a couple frames later.

#6: This is not really an action shot, but I love the shallow DOF and nice smooth background. I'm not sure whether that's a flar on the bottom left, or (my best guess) is I was too close to the basket base padding.

#7: And one final shot from the far end in a crop. The D800 @ 1/800th @ ISO 3200. It's a half frame crop more or less so plenty of pixels to spread out the noise; quite pleased with how sharp the far end shots are with the somewhat short 200. Debated putting on the 1.4x and sacrificing the stop, but I think the stop helped more than the reach would on the D800, as it had the pixels but looks much better at 3200 than 6400 ISO.

As mentioned, criticism and suggestions welcome. I still feel each game like I'm spending most of the time figuring out what I am doing, so advice always welcomed.

More from this game here: http://www.captivephotons.com/Events/FGCUvLSUWBB122812

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Women's Basketball - New try, New lens (image heavy...

G