Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Long Day's Journey into Night

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Fri 28-Dec-12 05:10 PM

(Apologies to Eugene O'Neill.)

Yesterday was day one of a two-day (Thursday, Saturday) Xmas tournament at the local high school. Four schools, three levels (freshman, JV and varsity) playing six games yesterday, two of each level. I shot all six games starting at 10:30 AM and ending at 9 PM. Boy, was I beat!

I strobed the gym with two sets of strobes. The usual set of AB800's in the corners at the end I was shooting from, with the strobes pointed into the corners to get a nice bounce. At about midcourt on either side, I set up a pair of speedlights pointed toward the lane at the far end.

For shooting at the near end I used a D3 with a 70-200 f/2.8, and occasionally a 24-70 f/2.8. This had a PocketWizard Plus II to trigger the AB800's. For shooting the far end I used a D7000 with a Sigma 120-300. A PocketWizard MiniTT1 on the D7000 triggered FlexTT5's that the speedlights were mounted on, giving TTL exposure control. For some reason these were coming out really hot, so I dialed in a stop of -EV.

Originally I was planning to have the AB800's fire along with the speedlights when shooting the far end for extra fill, but I discovered that they caused a bad reflection off the front of the stands on the far end, so I went with just the speedlights.

Anyway, here are a few shots from one of the games. I'll post a few more over the next day or so as I process the images.

I ran these through Topaz Adjust's "Photo Pop" filter just for fun.

Near-end shots (70-200):

Click on image to view larger version

A couple of shots at the far end"

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)