Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shooting basketball from above

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5703 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 23-Dec-12 03:23 PM

Somewhere around here I posted a question about shooting from above versus below but can't find it. Last night I experimented a bit, Shooting with a 70-200 from the middle of the gallery, and either a 24-70 or 85 from sitting on the floor.

Here are some comparison shots from similar scenarios:

Floor:

Above:

Verdict? I like the floor better for these charging shots (not just these two), though the background is more challanging (the lighted desks are a real pain).

Floor:

Above:

I had a LOT better luck getting the action around the basket from above. I was roughly at the corner, a bit more toward the baseline, so that right handed shooters' faces were shown more. I had quite a few shots on the basket from above, and had a lot more trouble this trip getting action from below (I think partly because the Women don't spend as much time in the air around the basket; they were very good from the 3pt line but there's just about nothing as boring for a still photograph).

From above however I just couldn't get sharp shots, and not quite sure why. Here's an example. It's reasonably high shutter (800th), it is a tight frop (a quarter of the frame) and I think it is in focus, but the noise level is high (ISO 5000 using a 64 for noise reduction in lightroom) and if you look at the hair and writing it's just not crisp. Is it the combination of noise and noise reduction? Camera motion? Or am I wrong about it being in focus?

Why do you think this looks a bit soft?

I'm seriously thinking about a 200/F2, get that extra stop. Same under the basket, with the 50/1.8 (one of those decisions is a LOT easier than the other!).

As always, criticism welcomed.

But I think in the future I may spend a third or so of my time from above. I do like the variety of the basket shots.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Shooting basketball from above