Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Powderpuff

jbloom

Wethersfield, US
7735 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004
Tue 20-Nov-12 03:08 PM

Around here some of the high schools play a "powderpuff" flag football game just before Thanksgiving. Some schools have an intramural game pitting the junior class against the senior class, while others actually play against other schools. Generally, the gate receipts go to benefit a worthy cause, or the entry fee is a couple of canned goods for the local food banks.

Anyway, here are some shots from a game last night. It was pretty dark -- ISO 6400 all the way, shutter speeds ranging from 1/400 to 1/800 depending on the field location and on where in the power cycle I caught the lights.

(Noise Ninja on all. All except #8 D3, AF-S 400 f/2.8)

#1 The throw...

Click on image to view larger version

#2 ... and the catch.

As you can see, uneven color balance was a real problem. I was only shooting the team in pink, which really showed the effect of the flickering lights. Here are two shots in the sequence of the QB just after she released the ball. I've done no color adjustment or crop on these two shots. I was in auto color balance, but I doubt any other setting, even preset, would have been any better, and possibly worse. However, I notice in looking at my shots now that only some sequences show this effect, so there was probably one bank of misbehaving lights responsible.

#5 Kick-off return.

#7 Actual blocking, too.

#8 This defender made a number of "tackles" behind the line on attempted sweeps. (D7000, AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 VRI)

#9 I got her! I got her!

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)
Attachment#7 (jpg file)
Attachment#8 (jpg file)
Attachment#9 (jpg file)